Thursday, October 8, 2015

Banks of Ohio

This song is indeed very hard to hear and to relate too. It is so hard to hear, not only because of the death in it, but because of why and to whom this man committed murdered. Someone he claims to "love", he then kills her because that same "love" is not reciprocated. While then feeling the guilt of his outrageous reaction. This is a very dark song, which is why I enjoyed Dolly Parton's version the most.  Because she keeps the same somber, dark, un-energetic tone the entire time, even in the beginning she keeps it during the verses when it simply seems that a happy couple is taking a walk by the river about to speak of their love.

I first listened to Banks of Ohio, and then after, listened to Will the Circle be Unbroken. I saw a natural transfer in the story. A man murders a women in the Ohio River, and then the family has the real pain of mourning for her; shown in Will the Circle be un Broken.

I real enjoyed the Circles will be Unbroken more as a song, because I can relate much more. It is about support and letting go while still grieving and hoping for the best for a past friend or lover.
However, I could not stop thinking about how much I hated the fist song, Banks of Ohio, so I did my piece for this week on that. It is the most abstract piece I have done but I did it wile listening to the song, and I wanted to show, "gnarliness" or just something hard to look at, just like the song. So I made a piece that made me feel that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment